View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: A Mod Challenge: The Either/Or Idea

[ QUOTE ]
Various turn cards make for very interesting changes in Hero's equity. The old non-adjusted equity was 57%. I think it would be fun for people to match the following Turn cards with Hero's new equity (non-adjusted):

1. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2. 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3. 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4. 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
5. A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

A. 75%
B. 44%
C. 59%
D. 52%
E. 59%

[/ QUOTE ]

Answers below are in white:

<font color="white">
1. A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - 75%
2. 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - 59%
3. 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - 52%
4. 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - 59%
5. A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - 44%

The 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]: The important thing to realize here is that most turns will NOT drastically effect Hero's equity. If the turn is a non-diamond blank, we are still ahead of nines, still ahead of flush draws, and still behind queens. If the turn is a diamond blank, we pull ahead of queens, but fall behind the flush draws. In either case, we still find ourselves at about 50/50. Either/or [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

The 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is not quite as blankish since it completes straight and two pair draws that pull our opponents ahead. It also gives us a gutshot. Overall our equity is lowered a bit, but not much.

Finally, the aces. The A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a bad card for Hero because many of the AdX hands just pulled ahead and the queens are still ahead. 9Xd is pretty much all we are still ahead of.

It might seem like the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would be a bad card, but in fact it is THE VERY BEST NON-TEN CARD that could fall. Why? Because it eliminates so many of villain's flush draws (making it more likely he has a queen) while giving Hero a flush. This, I think, is a VERY important idea (adjusting our opponent's range)... and I would raise the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. </font>