View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: PLO8: Flop top set -> Push on turn?

TG, I've seen this move used by top players and have used it a little myself, and I think it's the best play against thinking opponents. Not just against a board w/ two low cards, but against any draw-happy board (two to a suit for example), good players will frequently take a card relatively cheaply with top set or 2nd set, and then jam on the turn when a blank comes off and the odds are almost certainly in their favor. So, against strong opponents, I like your play a lot.

However, at this level, I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody betting the pot on the flop with naked A2. In addition, with the call in between the original bettor and you, I think a pot-sized raise on the flop might be the right play. This way, if the turn blanks, you can force a weaker player to committ his full stack to draw at a low. If the turn brings a low card that completes a possible wheel draw, I think I'd probably call anyway since you may have odds to fill up, especially if it's an A or 4 so that you have redraws to the wheel as well.

I guess I'd say that either method is OK here. But it looks like you're thinking way above the level you're playing, so when you get the BR built up sufficiently, I'd encourage you to jump a level or two.