View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: 22s...99 as overpair early

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed...but the problems begin with a bad play preflop. You're on the button, and there are limpers...you MUST raise to thin the field, and get a feel for where you are.

Second, what kind of flop are you looking for with 99? Besides the set, of course, this is an ideal flop, though not as ideal as if you'd pushed the blinds out (since a low straight or two pair are possible). How you don't re-raise here, possibly all-in, is beyond me. You're gonna take the pot down almost every time there, and even if you do get a call, you're still probably ahead, since you might well be getting called by TP or the flush/straight draw or something like that. And if you get called by two pair or the straight, it's your own damn fault for not raising preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question was not about my preflop play but thanks for the lecture. I (and many others in this forum) disagree that raising pf is mandatory here. In lev 1 I am not trying to clear the field and win a small pot. I am hoping to flop a set and double through some donkey. A case can be made for raising here but it is by no means is it a MUST.