Thread: Raise the flop?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Raise the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Both hands are equally as likely to be good right now.<font color="green"> I agree </font>
Both hands are equally as likely to be drawn out on by the river.<font color="green"> I disagree strongly. Aces are much stronger. </font>
Both hands have an equal amount of scare cards on the turn.<font color="green"> no, the scare cards that can come on the turn still leave you with an overpair. In my hand I could end up with middle pair. There aren't a huge number of scare cards with Aces. For instance if the board pairs, it's hard to know if it helped you or hurt you</font>
Both hands are equally as likely to be bet off of facing two bets on the turn. <font color="green"> I'd say the AA hand is much more likely in this regard. Well maybe not much more likely but if it happened I would not be happy whereas with the Q9 hand I'd be like, "Well there goes a crappy middle pair hand"</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have called the turn the way you played it FWIW.

Good posting.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green"> no, the scare cards that can come on the turn still leave you with an overpair. In my hand I could end up with middle pair.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

A scare card is a scare card, it doesn't matter what hand it leaves you with (excluding redraws). Losing with kings to aces is exactly the same as losing with 3s to 4s.

In the Q9o hand, I don't really consider T-K major scare cards on the turn. I'm scared of an 8, A or heart.
In the AA hand, I'm scared of a 9 or a board pair (more so a king than the others).
All other "mild" scare cards in both hands give us some redraws.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green"> I'd say the AA hand is much more likely in this regard. Well maybe not much more likely but if it happened I would not be happy whereas with the Q9 hand I'd be like, "Well there goes a crappy middle pair hand"</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a psychological attachment to a big pair and is bad for your game.

[ QUOTE ]

Both hands are equally as likely to be good right now.<font color="green"> I agree </font>
Both hands are equally as likely to be drawn out on by the river.<font color="green"> I disagree strongly. Aces are much stronger. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

These two opinions contradict each other unless you specifically know the exact holdings of your opponents.

I'm sure you're fully aware of this, but I'd like to reiterate for the sake of argument (and to help my case [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ):

Poker hand values are relative. If you hold 87d on a 9d, Td, Jd board and for some reason you knew 100% that I have KQd, you should lay it down on the river just as easily as you would Jack high against my Queen high.