View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: My issue with the death penalty(rant)

Stanley Willams did some bad [censored]....he's paid for his crime for 20 years. Now he can't keep repaying society, which is too bad - cause he really was repaying society back by taking his anti-gang message to the inmates in prison and members on the outside

But if you are against the death penalty for moral reasons (and i have no problem with you if you are), then the above is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Tookie was doing good or if he was bragging about how much fun he had killing people. If you think it's wrong for the state to kill, then what the convicted killers do after sentencing should have zero impact on that.

I have a friend who got a guy off death row, in part because he was able to take some time to get his story written.

As an aside, how many investigative journalists currently expend herculean efforts to exonerate people who have been sentenced to life?

It lumps us in with Islamic States and 3rd world countries instead of putting us in with the rest of civilized society.

Don't forget China. However, I disagree with this despite my amivalence about capital punishment. Our process of jurisprudence is what differentiates us from all other nations. The lengthy appeal process and the other freedoms that allow citizens groups to dig up exonerating evidence to get people off Death Row clearly show we are NOT in the same league as the countries you mention.

Philosophically, I have a problem with granting the State the power to execute. Personally, I have no sympathy with the likes of Stanley Williams, and while I would not protest if the US eliminated capital punishment, Tookie got precisely what he deserved.