View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Theorem of expected stack sizes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this theory makes it very clear that you still don't understand what betgo and i were trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ] True. You guys were saying S1'- S1 is often bigger than S2' - S2 when S1 < S2.

[/ QUOTE ]

That indeed was a part of what they were saying, but a very uninteresting and trivial part, and certainly not one that qualifies as a reason for why their theory has any kind of merit, or as a "proof" for it. As I said myself in one of those discussions, I completely agree with this particular element of their theory, and it's not new or surprising at all. I was even happy to give my own examples for it being true.

The ONLY interesting and relevant aspect of their theory, and the only element of it that might might make their theory valid, is the possibility that the theorem in the OP is not true. In a very deep and essential way, the negation of this theorem is the most important and "revolutionary" consequence of their theory (or from a different perspective: its most prominent assumption). They might not agree or even understand it themselves, but that doesn't change much, of course.