Thread: Statzzzzzzzzzzz
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Statzzzzzzzzzzz

I do not think a 15% ROI looks that bad here.

Part of the reason we see so many 30%+ ROI claims over smaller samples is just that it is so much easier to do if you are putting in less than 10 SNGs per week.

When I was getting my best results ever over a reasonable sample, I was playing one or two SNGs a day, individually, with breaks in between and a lot of study and relaxation. I never played if I did not feel 100% about poker and if I thought watching TV or reading a book was going to be more enjoyable, that's what I did.

Then when I started playing massive amounts of SNGs, my results fell. This seemed strange at first because I thought I would be more focused and my game would improve, but I came to realize that is a silly way of looking at it. At least for me.

There is no way most people can maintain the same intensity playing 150 SNGs a week as they do playing 10 each week. Adding to this the fact that you are multi-tabling, playing in an unfortunate time block, and that you are not exactly playing the low stakes, 15% sounds pretty good.

If you can get 150 SNGs/week in about 30 hours of play, plus an extra 10 hrs/week of study and reading, then this measn that you are getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $25+/hr. That's not bad considering you are playing Poker.

Don't get me wrong, there is always room for improvement, and I think under your current circumstances 20% may even be possible, but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it either. I think a worthwhile short term goal is to manage to pull your multi-tabling ROI to 15% because it is obviously less now, considering the drop in profits over your last 500 SNGs.

The way I see it, with your current rate of earning, it should not be long before you have moved beyond the $55 level, provided your ROI does not drop too much along the way. This is easier said than done, I know. If I understand your current situation, you cannot exactly let the Bankroll grow and grow without removing some occasionally.

Still, I would be VERY surprised if we see a 2000 SNG update from you at the $55 level.

Who knows, maybe I just like to justify my ever decreasing ROI to myself, but I really think the days of the 40%+ ROI playing $55 are over (if they ever really existed). Multitabling the $55 and getting 15% sounds good to me and I wish that I could do it because every indication thus far is that I can't. Maybe that means I suck or don't play dynamically enough, but I still feel better than almost every player at every table I sit down at. I'm sure that you do too. That doesn't mean destroying the players at that level is as easy as it seems at $11-$33. They are bad, but good enough to limit your profits.

Anyways, I am rambling on again, and I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of other $55 players who put in massive amounts of games (100+/week) as to what is really possible under those circumstances.

Oh, and I'm also intersted to hear if you have taken many stabs at $109 and $215 yet?

Regards
Brad S