View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 01:38 PM

Default home game: tourney or ring?

A friend of mine is going to host a Texas Hold'em game with a bunch of relative newbies who have seen WPT on TV. He has asked my advice on setting it up. Here is his story: doesn't feel great taking a lot of $ from acquaintances but wants to have a serious game, would like to make it enjoyable enough so that people want to come back again, etc.

My goal would be to make some money on a night like this, especially if it is a regular thing, but also don't want to make anyone unwelcome and wouldn't play too "offensively" towards any player as to make them feel uncomfortable.

A ring game would typically be $1/$2. Tourney would probably be $10 or $20 buy-in, no limit.

His thought was start off with a tourney and have the blinds increase rather quickly (say on each orbit) to push the game along, so that if we start with 8 people the tourney would be over within 2 hours.

What is the best approach and do our slightly different agendas play into it?

Any other general thoughts would be appreciated.

As a side, I have played in this particular house game before when playing dealer's choice and have typically won a little money without exposing myself to too much risk.

A typical win is $40 to $50. I also would not want to go for the throat and attempt a big score. I guess I say that on the theory of "You can shear a sheep a hundred times but skin him only once". I'm perfectly happy going there, enjoying myself, and winning $50.

Please comment on specific topic or anything else that seems relevant.

Thanks.