View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Is Bush a Conservative

[ QUOTE ]

Liberalism is a public philosophy that demands citizens think of themselves as members of a national community committed to greatness. Instead of understanding liberalism as a series of policy plans generated by policy wonks or activists, I think liberalism is a humanist project committed to pushing people to think beyond the interests of the self. Liberalism demands that citizens think of public purposes and improve the quality of collectively shared resources. (paraphrased from When America Was Great: The Fighting Faith of Postwar Liberalism.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I HIGHLY disagree with this definition of liberalism, on every level imaginable. The closest thing that comes to this definition is Communism, fascism, and possibly some theocracies, and only in theory since no person can reasonably be expected to care about the collective more than themselves (at least in my opinion).

I thought we went through this on the "What is a Liberal" thread Waxie. The focus of liberalism is less government so as to increase personal liberties. Everybody is self-interested, and that includes Al Franken, Bill O'Reily, and everybody in between.

This quote is absurd, and obviously written in such a way to provoke a positive response to "Liberalism".

By the ways, I am a liberal; although I try to be as objective as I can on these kinds of matters.