View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Thinking about getting a dog

[ QUOTE ]
Research the Breed!!

If you're not an active person - don't get an active dog. You and your dog will be miserable. Go to the library or bookstore and find a good book on dog breeds. Something like this will get you started on finding the right breed to match your personality. Then you can go to your local pound and see if they have one. Adopting a dog is GOOD! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Otherwise, if you're looking for a purebread dog, wwww.akc.com will have information on local breeders in your area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. First seriously consider how much time you have to be with the dog (home alot vs.away alot), will the dog be confined inside or have a yard, etc then consider the breed and their characteristics. Some dogs require tremendous amounts of attention, physical exercise, etc (Lab). See how these requirements fit into your lifestyle.

You could go the pound route or you can try some of the rescue organizations. Some are fanatical (i.e. will they will yell at you if you don't dedicate yourself to your dog 24/7.) However there are nice ones too which can help you find a dog that matches your lifestyle and wants (animalavengers.com), but they are highly selective about who they will let adopt because they look out for the dogs best interest, which could be good for both parties.

Good luck!

P.S. I think the middle puppy is cute!