View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Biography Movies They Should Make (my last thread today, I promise

[ QUOTE ]
well I think he must have been mentally unhealthy to some degree. I mean, he was trying to kill every jew. That doesn't seem like something someone in their right mind would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But, my point was that the Nazis are always made to look psychotic, much more in Schindler's List than the Pianist. And from all that I have read, they were no more/less psychotic than any other type of soldier/military personnel. For one, the Nazis didn't want psychopaths in their ranks. You need somebody that can think straight. Also, lots of Jews were interviewed and send that it was rare for Nazis to just randomly start shooting. Of course, it did happen, but not as often as movies would make us think. I am in no way defending the Nazis, I am not a fascist or a racist, my point is that there is just the everyday evil things that people do. An example from American history would be the colonists giving the Native Amercians blankets with smallpox on purpose to kill them off. Is that fcked up? Yes. Was it systematic? yes. But, were these guys psychopaths. I would say not. I think by saying somebody or group is psychotic or evil is too simple of an explanation and we will never get to solve these recurring problems. And if they are psychopaths, then we have a lot more psychopaths in this world than I thought. Plus, where were the U.S. congressman who were anti semites who wouldn't let the jews in the U.S.? And what about the Jews who helped finance Hitler and later had a chance to save a bunch of jews, but didnt? I am not trying to turn this into a political discussion. Maybe this belongs in psychology and I apology for the hijacking. You should see the movie "The Fog of War". It is a documentary about Robert McNamara, the defense secretary under kennedy and johnson. You will see my point (plus it is a great documentary and interviews with him all filmed in the present (well at least the interviews). Long story short, he planned the deaths of a lot of people and you can tell he was choked up. And you also could tell he wasn't that bad of a guy.

craig