View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Protect my pot, a high limit shorthanded hand

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of players might wait til the river to raise an over pair but I dunno. At least often enough to make calling and re-evaluating the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in this situation? The SB seems to be on a draw (either the flush or maybe overcards) but is already in for one bet on the turn, then hero check-raises you, do you really just call? I'd want to charge the SB for his draw and get some further information about what Hero is holding. And, precisely because so many good players in Hero's place would not fold to a 3-bet, I wouldn't be overly concerned about losing customers. With that flop and turn, pocket fives are going to want to see a showdown a lot of the time, and if the button 3-bets the turn, and then its checked to him on the river, I would expect him to bet the river too the vast majority of the time. And if that happens, the pot is too big for Hero to fold unless he is pretty damn certain of his read. So the way I look at it is that if you call a 3-bet, you are really also committing yourself to call a river bet. I don't think 55 is strong enough given the way the action has happened to commit yourself to call two more big bets (the turn 3-bet and the likely river bet). That's why I think its a fold if the turn gets 3-bet.

But, even if I am wrong, if Hero just leads the turn this whole sticky situation can be avoided, as I said before.