View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: SEC probes Doyle

[ QUOTE ]
we shall see who the moron is. doyle will be cleared.

[/ QUOTE ]

You used to be cynical, now you're glorifying a person who makes a living parting fools and their money?

It's not exactly a stretch of the imagination to think that Doyle was in on the scam. Yes, it's easy to see that it raises flags. Yes, it's easy for most of us to see that this is an incredibly stupid thing to do. But still, people with degrees in law and finance try this exact trick all the time, and right about every civilized country has an agency devoted to nothing but tracking down these clowns.

This is a mistake that very intelligent people commit on near daily basis.

I've never met Doyle. I don't know much about him, but nothing in what I know makes me think him more unlikely than anyone else in manipulating stock prices for gain. Heck, this is a guy who brags about being able to fast talk people into making bigger and bigger bets until they are under such emotional strain that they start making mistakes. (This is basically his golf strategy, make the bets so large that the opponent, though of a lower handicap gets so stressed by the money riding on the shot that Doyle turns from a dog to a favorite. He routinely talks people into gambling way above their bankroll, just to cause them to make mistakes by which he can profit.)

This isn't exactly the most endearing image you can cultivate for yourself.

Yeah, I like what Doyle has done for poker. But I doubt the Vatican will be nominating him for sainthood any time soon. In fact all I know about Doyle is really that he is good at poker. From this I can't infer much, and certainly not that he is more likely than your average Masters_In_Economics guy to be an honest and law abiding businessman.

He's a human being. Not a saint, but a regular guy. A smart one, with a real talent for poker. But still, a human. It's a stupid mistake to try and manipulate a stock like this. But let's face it, most humans perform stupid mistakes routinely.