View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Health Insurance Question for fulltime players

Health insurance products are structured by the state you live in, so the coverage provided by a major national firm such as Aetna or Blue Cross can vary widely depending where you live.

Individual plans for the most part stink compared to the big national plans offered to employees of major corporations. The coverage is less, deductibles higher, and premiums are far higher.

Some states will let you get a small discount by filing for health insurance as a "group of one" or sole proprietor, if you file taxes with a Schedule C and/or get 1099 (independent contractor) income. Some states also offer subsidized health plans, but qualification is often based on income; New York is <$25k for individuals, i.e. poverty level.

Your best bet is to do research on the web pertaining to your state, then talk to several agents. Back when I was looking, I found most were either uneducated or didn't care, since my individual coverage was a waste of time for them (they make their money selling to large groups). I'm personally leery of the "ER only" plans since non-ER issues can still make you miserable and poor too.

Don't skimp. I pay over $5000 a year for my individual coverage in New York (tax deductible if you file a Schedule C), and although the only doctor's visit I had in the last 12 months was my annual physical, the peace of mind is worth it.