View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Health Insurance Question for fulltime players

[ QUOTE ]
Death Valley's post about being hospitalized for a week really got me worried. I've been playing full time for about a year now, and I'm still young enough to think I'm invincible so I've procrastinated on getting health insurance.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best health insurance plan is. I talked to some dude a month ago or so, but he seemed way to anxious to sign me up. Not sure if he just gets a finder's fee or a lifetime cut of my payments, but I had a feeling he was recommending the company that gave him the best kickback. Is there any company that stands out way above the rest, like ING for savings, or Progressive for car insurance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

by the way, I don't have any health problems. E.R. coverage would probably suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

From 2000 - 2004, all I did was play poker, travel around the world and goof off. I thought I was invincible, saw no need for health insurance and blew my mom off when she would send me emails and little notes with information about health insurance. For 4 years I never had a need for it.
In 2004 I went to work at Wynn and picked up health insurance. Last month I ended up in emergency surgery with a ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for 4 days and out of work for 2 weeks. Last week I got the last bill, a grand total of just over $50,000.
Coincidentally tomorrow is my last day at Wynn, I am going back to playing, traveling and goofing off. I will definately have health insurance this time around, and I would advise anyone else to do the same thing.
Blue Cross Blue Shield has been recomended to me. Look for something that covers major medical, unless you are looking for a plan that covers the small stuff too.