View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Doyle Brunson\'s Style of Playing No Limit

"I havent read the book. What is Doyle Brunson's Style?
is the book good?"

Are you being sarcastic? Oh well, if you are I can afford to waste a few minutes of my time explaining it anyways....

I don't think I've ever heard someone say SuperSystem is not a good book, although I have heard a few say that time has to some extent passed his style by (I'm personally on the fence on this one).

His style is agression...make your opponent make a decision for all his chips. Many young players today have the impression that his play was much like Gus Hansen...this is incorrect. Doyle had a stringent selection of starting hands, but when he was in a pot, even with just suited connectors, he would hammer away with bets and raises. His philosophy was if he was the raiser, bet irregardless of what the flop was (90% of the time), if he got raised, if he had any kind of draw (even as little as in inside straight draw) he would go ahead and get all his chips in. Or if he had the third button with a hand, he would still go ahead and get all his chips in the middle if raised.

If he was on a rush, then he might play a garbage hand and even raise with it, but only when he was rushing.

He also believed in changing gears, occasionally tightening up, and then suddenly going back to the aggressive style.

To give an example of a play he advocates, a guy raises with AK in early position you call with 56 of diamonds. The flop comes A78 rainbow. He bets, you raise all in. Obviously, if you play ever hand like that, the guy is going to call you in a second. But if you also are changing gears, well, particularly in a high limit game, he may throw his hand away, and if he doesn't you have about a 1/3 chance of drawing out. You get compensated for the times you miss by players throwing their hands away. Also, you don't know what the guy has. A pair of Kings would be very hard pressed to call the all in, for example. So by exerting this kind of pressure, you will likely get all but he strongest hands to fold.

Hope that explains it well for you, if anyone has anything to add please feel free.

David