View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: PF raise with QJs?

[ QUOTE ]
I should add that the blinds were loose passives as were the limpers, and that button was a TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]
That erases any doubt about the PF raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Although if table was different, should I still raise this PF for some sort of equity edge? I was never quite clear about raising PF in multiway pots with certain hands (like j10s, mid pockets, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not my expertise either, but I say QJs is worth a raise in late position after 3 limpers even when you don't know your opponents. With at least 4 opp. to see the flop, and the fact that you have both suited connectors and top pair draws a raise is good. Has a great chance of buying the button and allowing you to take the free card. My reservation, though, is: how often will we win here with top pair? I think we will often enough to make raising profitable, but JTs is the worse hand for which this has value. (I'd like to hear any arguments against that). 98s~54s just check to the flop 6 handed.

Pocket pairs, CO, 3 limpers, new to table:

If you raise:
Probably 4 oponents.
set draw is less profitable.
99 more winnable UI.
opponents will check to you on the flop if they do not hit, but will call with as much as one over.
If a different opponents leads a flop with high card(s) the hand is easy to play.
bigger pot: harder to force opponents to fold overs.

No raise:
probably 5 opponents.
set draw will have value.
less likely to win UI.
Someone else will lead the flop allowing you to make it two bets (can protect your hand easier).
Small pot: easier to force overs to fold.

With that in mind, I say raise TT, call(check) 88, and might as well mix it up a little.