View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: 2-4NL, will i ever establish myself at this limit??

John,

I just started 2-4 NL. I have a feeling that I'm going to die a quick death over the next couple of nights. If I start a support group, will you join?

I've logged in a few hours of 2-4 already. I've also introduced myself to a variety of new games over the past few months. So, while this is no glowing resume, maybe my two cents will help:

1. 2-4 has plenty of ass players. Horrible, horrible players. Find them and use them. Don't just wait for cards or sulk at the bad ones. If you're blinds are weak, attack them. If the guy to your right is a hyper-aggressive maniac, punish him when you feel he's chasing draws. Remember to play poker.

2. 2-4 has several good players who are probably in front of their computers many hours a day, making in some nice cash.

I think your first job should be to scope out your players and see which ones are easy "targets." Which ones can you chop away at through continuation bets, check raises, standard stuff. If you want to build up one buy-in, there is nothing like a good couple of hours of winning small pot after small pot.

Then, you need to scope out which players are the good ones - people who will play back at you.

I think the best thing to do is to stick to your solid game. You may wind up getting smacked around by the good players, but if you keep the pots small against them and attack the fish, I think you can at least buy time at the 2-4 tables.

My bankroll is a little under yours and there is a good chance I'm heading back to the 1-2 tables in a few days. I think that you just need to consider your $ fodder for learning at this point. Do what you think is right when you play your hands with an open mind toward learning. Easier said than done.