View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Experiences with Fasting

Fasting cleanses the body by allowing toxings from various tissue cells to be released into the intestine where it combines with other solid waste and is excreted out as feces.

Fasting for too long a period of time can cause too many toxins to be released, and actually cause poisoning.

Normally, I prefer to conclude my evening meal at least 5-6 hours before sleeping. Hence, my body undergoes a period of fasting that lasts from sometime after dinner until the next morning. This is long enough to cleanse the body without getting sick. Also, my mind doesnt become obsessed with hunger, as I am not doing this in the day time.

Waiting a long time to eat makes it more enjoyable, yet can often lead to binging and feasting which adds undesirable calories to your daily intake. Yet, occasionally, this can be good for the spirit. This is why, on holidays and special celebrations, many people have large meals.

Eating a high fiber diet will help buffer toxins released into the intestine, and help keep the intestine free of toxins. Yogurt and other foods containing friendly bacteria will also help keep the intestine healthy.

The typical American diet is not high enough in vegetable fiber, and most Americans would do well to consider eating more vegetables and fruits. Some ethnic diets are much higher in vegetable fiber and lower in saturated fats and refined sugars. Specifically, Chinese and Indian utilize many vegetables in their dishes, and are extremely low in refined sugar. Although some dishes can be high in fat, if you are selective, you can avoid the ones that are.

Also, eating mushrooms and shellfish along with any meal can help reduce the amount of saturated fat absorbed by the gut. There is a specific compound present in these foods (called chetin) which chemically binds to the fat present in other foods and renders it less digestable, passing it through the intestine. This is probably why we often serve steak with mushrooms, and the chinese often eat shrimp with the head, feat, and shells.

live long and prosper
-J