View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over by the cops while walking at night

[ QUOTE ]
Then I'd find you guilty of interfering with a police officer and put your pitiful butt to work at community service during 60% of every free minute you have for the next 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't interfere with him at all. I just didn't help him. I identified myself when asked, and told him where I lived.

[ QUOTE ]

You sound, to me, exactly like the guy who screams every time some pissant's "rights" are "violated,"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, put it this way. I'm not asking for the "right" to free ice cream or something. I'm basically asking to live without interference.

[ QUOTE ]

and yet you chose to abuse your own. Is it any wonder law enforcement people feel like nobody really gives a damn? You simply prove their point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 24 years old. Since age 18 I've been pulled over by the cops something like 15-20 times... It's only been thrice this summer but it seems like once a month in the summer and once per 2.5 months in the off-season in the past.

Out of these times, once was to help locate some kids that were running away from home: I obliged.

Another time, I was carrying half a bottle of zinfandel back from a party and I got a $120 fine, even though I wasn't drunk.

Every other time they've just wanted to know where I was going. On several occassions I've had them really grill me about it.

I hate it when they shine lights in my eyes, especially spotlights from cars. I can't really describe how angry it makes me or some of the things that it makes me consider. I'd certainly not choose to publish them here.

I was really happy to help out with the kids situation, but everything other than that has been halfway between bothersome and really f-king irritating, to downring invasive.

[ QUOTE ]

Since you like to walk around at 4 a.m., isn't it be nice to know there are police doing their duty at that time, not parked somewhere sleeping...?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a beautiful thing, man. And I do like it.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd have gone out of my way to make friends with these guys. Then, whenever they saw me, they'd probably wave and drive on by.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised how seldom this happens. Out of the 15-20 times: once. Did that make it all worthwhile? No.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd feel comfortable knowing they were "on the job" and available if I ever needed them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. I just don't want them to talk to me unless they have a damn good reason, and if I tell them that I'm only going to identify myself and that's it, I want them to be done with it: they know where to find me if they have evidence to arrest me, once I've identified myself.

--Dave.