View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Let Me Paraphrase President Bush\'s speech tonight:

[ QUOTE ]

You may forget that the people who join these cells are taught in schools that make them more likely to join. Over a generation, the government could do a good job of educating kids to know the difference between radical and normal Islam and reduce the brainwashed kids available to fringe groups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that is true at all. I have heard numerous accounts of people who have joined such terrorist groups because of personal alienation they have felt due to military harassment in their own lives. Granted, there are certainly many places where schools promote radical islam, but I don't think that they are necessarily the primary cause of its prevalance in the middle east.

[ QUOTE ]

What happened to the cells of groups like The Weathermen and other radical groups in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Weathermen disbanded because their base of supporters were youth who felt discontent with the American government because of our involvement in Vietnam. When we left Vietnam, the base evaporated. There are still hundreds of paramilitary and militia groups in the United States which advocate the overthrow of the US government.