View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: An odd hand... JTc UTG

1. I think the fact that shortstack is almost certainly going to commit his entire stack regardless of what you do and his all-in does not reopen the betting means that once the betting gets back around to you the second time you really need to cap it there. You're justing missing too much value if you don't.

I personally think it's better to just raise immediately. Anyone who likes that flop at all probably likes it quite a bit. You'll get called by pair+gutshot type hands. The hands that don't like the flop really hate it (hands like 88) and they aren't calling one bet so there's no concern folding them out right there. The short stack guy is going to put it all in if he has any kind of piece here anyway. The board likely hit the BB hard if at all and you really want to see this hand get three-bet and capped on the flop. (Allowing just one bet to go in on the flop if BB has AK, AQ, AA, KK, or QQ is losing ungodly amounts of value).

2. That turn sucks SO MUCH. Oh dear god it bites. I honestly don't like raising at this point. A BB raise is almost like a three-bet for a lot of players (I've seen one article advocate only raising out of the BB with AA and KK, for example). If you raise and get three-bet, it sucks because you should probably fold as you're drawing dead so much of the time but that's painful to do and you do have outs against hands like AJ or whatever and have that ever lovely Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] possibility. A lot of the hands you're beating at this point aren't paying off a raise anyway as that A looks as awful to them as it does to you.

3. The river is basically just an extension of the turn reasoning as the river changes nothing.