View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Is this play too aggressive?

Hi w-raedy,

First, I agree with the posters who said you should've raised more pre-flop. AK is only about a 2:1 favorite over a lower suited connector; you're letting too many people have the right odds to chase you.

Second:

[ QUOTE ]
(1) I was playing a $10+1 and therefore was willing to play a little looser than normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you play looser in what stands to be a looser, more wild-and-crazy game? Go ahead and play tight poker, and bet for value rather than bluffs or semi-bluffs. The weak players will pay off your made hands and made draws, and you're probably going to have to show down a best hand to win a pot.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) I figured there was a good chance he was betting a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hold two hearts. There are two hearts on board. That makes it much less likely that your opponent is also on a flush draw. What's more, if he is on a flush draw, he is holding two of your outs. That makes his hand weaker, unless you decide that his flush draw is as naked as yours is. If he has even bottom pair, you're in trouble, because he's holding almost 1/4 of your outs in his hand. If he has <font color="red">9</font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="red">8</font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you're in even worse shape. Now you're down to five outs -- <font color="red">6</font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or <font color="red">J</font> [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] make him a straight flush -- and he has a non-flush straight draw to go with his straight flush draw.

So ... what this comes down to is a "read" that, despite your being able to see four of the nine hearts, he is on a naked heart flush draw, with no pair, and not 98. That's not a "read." That's a "wish."

Cris