View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Mathematical Hand Analysis (the EV of pushing 99 from MP)

I actually created a spreadsheet that I use to run analysis like this. I plugged in your numbers and got a slightly EV: +$167.

One difference is how I calculate the chances of winning the blinds. I look at each individual player's chances of picking up a calling hand (evaluate hand combos) and take into account the number of players there are: ((1-7.92%)^5) = 66.2%)

I think your method might inflate this number slightly because it doesn't isolate each opponent's chances of calling. But even still, you number is higher here which should increase your EV, yet my EV for you is still greater.

The other input that might be different is the value we are getting from PokerStove. I'm getting a winning % for 99 of 46.35%. If this number were slightly changed, your EV could move quite a bit (around 46%, the effect is roughly $22 of EV for every 1% change in winning %).

Once last thing I noticed is that your pot size is 6,550. How did you get that number? Your chips are 3,200 and the blinds are 300 so (3,200 + 3,200 + 300 = 6,700).

Did you take an average of the 5 stacks (with larger ones only counting as 3,200) and add that number to 3,200 and 300? I think this is actually a good idea but I didn't have that info so I just plugged in 3,200.

Luke