Thread: Leaking finding
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Leaking finding

PREFLOP:
I think your first problem is calling the raise out of the big blind. Your hand looks pretty with a pair, consecutive cards and double suited. But Omaha/8 is a game of scooping pots and having the nuts or close to it. So let’s look at your JT99 ds in that light.

1) You have no way to make a low. About 3 out of 4 times some one will make a low by the river so those times you will only be playing for half the pot.

2) Your pair of 9s can flop a set. A set of 9s can not be the nut high hand. So after you flop a set you will then often have to improve to quads or a full house to win high. Even if you improve to 9s full you will often lose to a bigger full house.

3) Your and is double suited but they are only Jack high and Ten high flush draws. If you make a flush you will often lose to the nut or second nut flush. I am not a fan of drawing to less than the second nut flush unless it comes in runner-runner.

4) You can make straights. Five of them actually: Ace high down to a ten high straight. If your lower straights are the nuts there will be a low possible, so you will only be playing for half the pot. For some of the higher straights you may be facing someone with the nut straight.

Overall there are very few flops that will give you the nuts or a draw to the nuts for the whole pot. I would save a bet and fold preflop.

FLOP:
Your second problem is betting the flop. There is something to be said for betting a flop with two high cards to charge the lows for chasing their backdoor draws. But with your hole cards and this flop, you are not likely to end up with the best hand by the river. So you too are chasing. I would check and hope for a free card. Fold to a bet.

TURN:
Another bad card for you. It enables another flush draw and the low draws. Things are getting worse for you. A bet will not win the pot. Check and fold.

RIVER:
You’ve gone this far. You might as well make the crying call.

IMHO to succeed at Omaha/8 you have to not bleed off chips on marginal hands such as this.