View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Jon Stewart on Crossfire

Crossfire used to be a decent show with Bill Press and Robert Novak who are both old school respected journalists as far as I can tell. Then the battle of the cable news networks broke out and FoxNews ended up cleaning up in the ratings.
This is when Crossfire changed formats to try to compete, started having a live audience , started encouraging the yelling matches, and invited Bow-tie boy and Begala. Coincidentally, it is also when I and many other viewers stopped watching CNN, opting for FoxNews instead.

It seems to me that the liberal Stewart is in no way going to embrace the competition of multiple networks after he finds out that FoxNews is dominating, so he feels that CNN is the last bastion of hope for his utopian idea of fair journalism. Of course the problem is, CNN has never been a totally hard hitting and unbiased source of news, it's just they were the only game in town for some time. He's clutching onto something that never existed.

That being said, can you think of one person you respect who wears a bow tie in modern times? Examples include, Carlson from CNN, Ross Perot, Michael Richards in the movie "Problem Child," some goofball at my vet school, and Steve Jobbs at one point.