View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Experiences with Fasting

[ QUOTE ]
People fast for a lot of reasons, before there was a thread on here about fasting for reasons of health and John Cole made some interesting and controversial posts about the benefits of fasting along those lines, "cleansing" the body. Fasting is also encouraged by relgions though for a variety of reasons, clearing the mind, repetence and celebration, a way of enjoying eating, sense of history, to produce a trancelike state, are just some reasons listed by book "Hunger" the religions Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Morons, Christians, Muslims and Taoists and fast on some days.

I have only fasted involuntarily when hiking and did not pack enough food. All I was thinking about then was food, imaginging every kind of my favorite food and how great it would taste if I was eating it right then. It didn't feel like my mind was really clear. The meals after not eating for a while tasted much better and for that reason I like to go a little longer then I naturally would sometimes, before eating.

Since all religions have fasts, there are probably a lot of people who have done it. Could some of you share your experiences with fasting please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it once a year over a 3 day period. The first day is fruits, vegetables,soup, and water. On day 2 it is just fruits and water. And on day 3 (sometimes an extra half day explained below) I only have water.

The reason I sometimes take an extra half day is because I usually by a body cleansing product. Sometimes it takes a while before all the poop is out.

By the 3rd day it is such a rush. I don't know how to explain it, because it is a high, but unlike any other high. So, the main reason I do it is because I want to cleanse my body.

I was raised Jewish (not practicing anymore) and would fast for Yom Kippur, but I was like 8, and hated it. I just felt like I had to. So, I don't do it for religious reasons now, but for "spiritual" (yeah, I know that sounds corny). Basically you are putting yourself through a bit of pain. It also humbles you, because so many people don't have any food. Also, I think it teaches you a Buddhist concept I read by the Dalai Lama about how pleasure is just the ending of pain or longing. So, for example, if you are hungry, it isn't that the food itself is making you feel good, but that you are getting rid of pain. Same can be said for the alcoholic, having sex, etc...

Anyways, talk to a Dr. first. Sometimes I can't go the whole time without eating because I have some anxiety problems and low sugar doesn't help, so I will have a few fruits for sugar. But, on an empty stomach fruit goes through you very quickly. And the sugars almost hit as quickly as nicotine or cocaine (maybe that is why it is so easy for me to fast, I am on coke the whole time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I hope this helps a bit.

craig

p.s. There have been some studies that people that fast 3 times a year are healthier; as long as they are cleansing their bodies as well. You can get the cleanser at Whole Foods. I would recommend them because it is Vegan and all natural (and not just because I am vegan). If the cleanser has dairy in it, it will slow the process down.