Thread: AKs.
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: AKs.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd also check, but I'm raising the flop and taking the initiative back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise the flop for a few reasons.. the main reason being that I figure to be way ahead or way behind. If I hand like KJo is leading into me, he's a 3:1 dog on the flop, so I'm not very worried about it. If I am already crushed by a set or the made straight, I am losing less. If he bets again on the turn, which I figure these hands to do, I can fold. If they check, I can take back the initiative by betting, which is what I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lose less when behind when I just raise the flop. If the guys comes over the top for all his chips I fold. If he calls, I'm checking the turn and then probably folding to any reasonable river value bet. I don't want to get into the spot that you're in where I'm calling half-pot, half-pot, half-pot all the way down.

I don't like the concept of raising for information in NL hold em so here is the way I look at it. You flopped top pair with the best kicker as the pre flop raiser. An opponent bet into you for less than 1/3 pot, and there are people to speak behind you that can get in for a great price if you just call. There's no reason to believe that you don't have the best hand just yet, so just friggin raise it up.

Given the way you played it, I don't mind giving a free card on the turn because it's easy to see which cards are likely to hit his hand. I'd also check the river down on a blank.