View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: PLO8 General Thought

[ QUOTE ]
The Ray Zee book says that in PL08, bad players get cut up much too quick. In 7 stud, bad players can chase. In Holdem, they can play crazy and still have good nights. In fact, crazy-aggressive is a pain in Holdem to play against since you're rarely holding the nuts to confidently take them down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe bad players do alright at the PL08 tables because of the schooling effect. Also, because the starting hands are much closer together then in Holdem, players who have absolute junk preflop hit enough to reward their bad play.

I see bad players making very aggressive bets with very poor hands who win huge pots because their opponents are also equally bad. I'm talking about people calling huge bets with midpair and no redraws with 2 people betting in front of them calling down... and winning.

What I think happens, though, is with the schooling effect, a good player at a table of fishy calling stations is going to lose a lot of pots because the opponents have every out covered.

That is... If you're at a table where 5 people call you down, each player might have only 5 or 6 outs as opposed to Hero's 14 outs.... but if they all call, Hero is a favorite over any individual but will still lose the majority of the times he plays. Obviously in the long run, the Hero should be ahead. But in the short run... the hero can get killed.

Point being... in the above scenario, the bad players will win (and see each other take down pots) enough times to not feel they're getting 'cut up too quickly.'

Sorry if this is somewhat rambly. I'm writing on a deadline.