View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth\'s revolutionary articles

I don't.

The fact that Unbluffable bet out the flop strongly suggests that Phil's trips are going to get paid: unless an A comes, Unbluffable looks committed. If so, Phil can get his money in as an even bigger favorite on the turn, and giving a free card really doesn't matter.

It puts Phil in a tough spot if another K hits the board, but that's the only card that would appear to hurt his hand; on any other turn card, he has an easy decision against a committed opponent who is drawing thin.

Me, I'd give the free card here. I'd be sad if an A came and Unbluffable check-folded. I'd be sad if a K came and Unbluffable bet big into me; I'd consider folding. And I'd be sad if Unbluffable hit his pocket pair and check-called my all-in. The sadness total here is too small to worry about, and I see myself permitting a free card.

I will also note that if someone played 5s4s against Phil's QQ and got there, he'd surely get an earful from Phil. Moreover, if that someone flopped 55K and the turn hit Phil's Q, Philly-boy would almost certainly regard that as a just result and berate his opponent then, too.

I also note that while I don't have as much fame or mobney as Phil, I don't need to resort to either notion to comfort myself after inevitabilities like this one.