View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM

Default FAQ for poker config on new Dell systems?

Everybody buy Dells. Everybody here just wants to run two 2001FP monitors and get max performance while connected to 3-4 poker sites, and maybe have it last for 3 years or so before having to buy a new computer. Everybody I know gets confused as hell trying to pick out the best deal when buying a new Dell.

Wouldn't this be a good topic for a FAQ from one of you smart people in the know?

I'm going through it right now - planning to buy a new Dell this week or next. I shouldn't admit this but it really doesn't matter to me if I spend $500 or $2000 (either one is cheap compared to poker earnings plus other value of computer), only I don't want to spend $2000 if $500 will do.

Ideally, I wish there was a FAQ that laid out 2 or 3 configurations for good poker systems and briefly explained the points that make a difference.

Failing that, I'd be grateful if anybody could answer a few specific questions:

First, do I want to stay away from the cheaper Celeron processors? I'm currently using an E-machines 600 MHz Celeron box that crashes all the time while playing poker (nothing else I do makes it crash). Some people blame the Celeron chip. But then, 600 MHz is awful puny. So my best thought here is to go with the 3.0 GHz Pentium in the 3000 series. Sound good?

Second, I read the monitor FAQ and mainly got from that that I want a video card with 2 DVI outs. All the Dell options seem to have one DVI and one VGA, at best. Lower end offer "Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2" which sounds like a built-in graphics card, which the FAQ says is a no-no. My best thought here is to take the "Integrated" option and buy an aftermarket card of some type to replace it. I understand this means I have to then disable the on-board card and enable the new card through the BIOS at start-up, which scares me a little as a novice. Is this right? If so, what aftermarket card should I get and will it come with detailed instructions about what to do to enable it?

Third, performance wise, I presume anything from the 2.4 GHz Celerons on up can handle the minimal processing needed to 8-table a couple poker sites. Is that right, or will the faster processors make a difference?

Thanks for any help and sorry for my stupidity. And props, props, props to anyone who feels like doing an FAQ on this, I think many would be grateful.