View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Set over set uncommon, sure ..but

I wasn't implying that being in one building or another affects the hands. I'm saying that in a card room (such as this) with a huge bad beat jackpot, players will play any pair for almost any raise. At a NLHE table with blinds at 3-5 it's not uncommon for a raise of $40 to be called by three or four people with small pairs. Given that just about anyone with a pocket pair is going to call (which is not the case in some places), the frequency of more people hitting a set will also go up, and thus the frequency of two people hitting a set on the same hand will go up. That's all I was saying.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Playing a hand with the hopes of flopping a set only to fear set-over-set might not be illogical but it is certainly irrational.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain something to me... what if three hearts flopped, and a fourth on the turn. How would it be illogical or irrational to fold to a huge reraise all in? If you flop a nut flush but the final board reads KKQQJ do you call just because you hit your flush? I shouldn't make my decision about how I'll play the turn before I've seen his action, which was my big mistake.

At the time I was playing the bottom set cautiously, trying to put my opponent on a hand. After some thought I put him on a better set and folded. Was it a mistake? Absolutely... but I don't think it was irrational to put him on a better set given the situation.

I think the main point I'm taking away from the discussion is that even if I'm 99% sure he's got a better set a call is still the correct play here. That's all I really wanted to know.