View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: How did you get that big stack?

It may be a purely psychological edge but when I see him raise the entire pot preflop on every hand he plays and then repot it on the flop I know I am going to have my entire stack in there if I want to play a hand. In addition I will almost always be calling all in and not raising someone else all in. Part of why I have trouble with PLO is that I have a sever aversion to calling for all of my stack while on a strong draw. I know I may be "ahead" but I hate calling and not being the aggressor in ths situation. Thus I know that others are feeling the same way. It was obvious from the play of every hand that he was intimidating others at the table and winning lots of pots on the turn from people terrified to put their whole stack in. regardless of whether or not this is correct from a mathematical perspective or not it is what was happening on that table. Big stacks just receive a lot of respect from us fish and we are almost always loathe to attack the big stack at the table for fear of losing all our chips and because we assume that anyone capable of winning $725 (which is more than my bankroll) at one table is cetainly better at poker than we are. Thus it becomes very easy for the big stack to push people at the table around. I suppose once I start accumulating big stacks I will learn how to play with and against one but for now I will just find a game where noone is a huge winner yet.