View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Party 3/6 changing?

Like the other posters, I think the short-handed 6 player games are where the money is to be secured; at least at 2/4 or 3/6 limits. I started playing online in 2000 and in retrospect I remember the full-table games at Paradise being substantially looser (I was still a loser at that time in my poker career). Also, I remember the full-table games at Pokerstars (.25/.5 through 3/6) averaging at least 1 big bet greater per game at many limits. On the very low levels (.25/.50) it was common to see the list filled with $4 dollar average pots and now they are a rarity.

I rarely play a full table (except NL) and instead focus exclusively on 6 handed games at Party and Pokerstars. They require a different set of skills and the section in HFAP (on short handed play) is very applicable. A cursory examination is not enough, however, IMHO. Creativity, aggression, profiling (and not a dry statistical analysis), and deception are all very important to a winning player. Also, the cards you play and in what position are radically altered from the 9 and 10 player games. I can't pretend to be an expert; just a winning low limit short-handed player (and I do not use any external aids like Pokertracker, PA HUD, Pokerstat, Poker Prophecy). I do use the built-in notes feature and take relatively detailed notes on the most salient traits of many opponents (and find this helpful).

I think the action-oriented players have left the full-table games and that's a huge factor in the destruction of the loose 9-10 handed game. Not much time expires between each hand and you don't have to wait all day for a playable hand, which explains why the 'crack addict' compulsive types make these games so lucrative.

Good luck,

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."