View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: real estate agents

I just started this past June. I still have a day job, but I have my license hanging in an office and I am working with my 3rd and 4th clients right now. Here is my take so far. And some of my background for perspective.

My day job is as a chip designer. I have a BSEE. Most of the people I work with there have a Master's or greater.

The first thing to realize is that the job of a real estate agent is about 50% real estate and 50% networking, getting clients. That is once you are established. In the begining its probably 80% networking.

Second. To put it bluntly there are a LOT of morons with a license. So be prepared to watch the other parties agent like a hawk so their screwup doesn't hose your deal. For people who are just looking for an agent talk to several. Take notes of what they say, and then ask or check it out. Try to eliminate ones that don't know what they are talking about.

You need a lot of patience. Since your clients usually don't know a ton about real estate you have to have patience to explain things really well. Make sure you explain everything too. Don't assume that something is common knowledge since it probably isn't.

It took me about 6 weeks to realize that if you want to make real money in real estate just as in everything else, you gotta be the boss. From the beginning your goal should be to learn all you can and open your own office. I am a part-time agent for my first year while wife finishes grad school. Then I should have a better grasp of how I like the real estate as a full-time job.

Marcus

PS I am in the bay area, shoot me an e-mail if you have more questions, etc. E-mail is my first name @csrrealty.com