View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: (5$) Trouble with short handed play in SNG\'s

Your style on the bubble should be largely based on two things.

1. Your opponents styles
2. Your stack size relative to the blinds

Versus loose opponents, I would try and steal less due to the fact that they will push/call more which is what you do not want thereby creating a -EV situation for you and probably your opponent. On the other hand, stealing from tight players is fairly easy and can be done without risking your tournament life if the blinds aren't too large.

Your stack size is also extremely important for bubble situations mainly because the blinds get very large as the tourney continues. Generally, you want to be pushing preflop with 10x BB or less. Some argue that 10x is actually a healthy stack, I wouldn't disagree here but I think all players can agree that 10x BB you wouldn't mind taking down an uncontested pot.

A lot of this is covered in HOH, I suggest you get both volumes if you would like to read some good books on tournament poker.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Last night everytime the action was folded on the button, he raised 1BB (e.g. he raised it to 400 when the blinds were 100/200. ) I tried to combat this by pushing all in after I had seen him do this several times, was this correct?

3. Last night it got to the point where nobody respected my raises, how can I avoid this in the future? I will admit I did rasie alot, often with only slightly better than marginal holdings.

4. I think I was overly aggresive last night, how many BB's do I need to to continue to play conservatively without going into panic mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

In $5 tourneys you're not going to see sophisticated play. Thus your play should be more straightforward. If I had 10x BB, I would not be looking to do any 3x BB raises with trash.