View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Is my \"any two\" threshold too low?

I'll start from clearest in my mind to murkiest.

I don't like Hand 2. There's been a limper and a raise, and you do not have enough chips to realistically fold the raiser (he's going to be getting something close to 3:1). Your holding is going to play pretty poorly heads up. You can afford to fold this and use your 6 BBs in a better spot (folded to in the CO or button, for example). (EDIT: I missed the blinds were going up in two hands. This does make a call somewhat better here. That said, since you'll be through the blinds, you'll at least have a few spots to choose from. I think the key is that 54 is just rough heads up. With 2.5 BBs I think you'll have just enough oomph to isolate against a BB, and you can probably do so with a better heads up hand than 54. This is much closer than I originally thought though, I'm glad I reread.)

Hand 3 depends somewhat on how button has been playing. If he's been really, REALLY tight, then this is somewhat worrying and I might consider folding, but otherwise this is too much hand for this situation. There are two possible plays: push now, or stop and go. You are too short to call and check-fold, so if you call you should plan on pushing any flop. I think pushing now is probably fine in this situation, though this is a fairly good place to try the stop and go. So I think your play here is okay against most low level opponents.

Hand 1 is pretty rough. Folding leaves you with just over 2 BBs after you post the SB next hand, which means no folding equity. I think you're probably right to just gamble here with what are likely two live cards rather than hope for a better spot, because even if you found one doubling up wouldn't cure all of your problems if you lost more stack. So I think this was a good move as well.

So, except for Hand 2, I like it.