View Single Post
Old 02-24-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Organ Transplant Debacle

I read that 16 Americans died waiting for transplants on the same day she received new organs. Given this fact, I think her parents should definitely have donated her remaining viable organs (such as kidneys)--and they should have done this whether she was an illegal immigrant or an American citizen. Now maybe in their stress the parents didn't think of this, or maybe they didn't even know that others were dying while awaiting organs. Still, even with a lot of sympathy for the girl, the scenario is somewhat disturbing. Also, a great many doctors are quitting due to insanely high malpractice insurance premiums...in Connecticut premiums rose by 50% in the last year alone...so should illegals be allowed to sue for things like this? I don't know. I do think in general that if we have a classification "illegal alien" it ought to mean something--or as Tom Haley points out, what's the point of immigration laws? We really can't just have an open-door policy where everyone who walks in illegally is entitled to all benefits and protections, to say nothing of the terrorists who are walking in. And INS is simply higjly ineffective when it comes to deportations. Maybe we really should have troops on our borders, and maybe that would help with: 1) illegal immigration 2) preventing terrorists from walking in 3) cutting down on the amount of drugs smuggled into the USA.