View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: $33- Overbetting from the blinds

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those plays where I go by feel and, if possible, reads. If I know I'm playing against a true donkey who's likely to call me down with AJ or 88, then sure, I'm pushing. If I don't know...sometimes I still push a hand like this.

I do think there is some metagame value to it as, even as low as the 22's, I've definitely noticed having a lot more FE when I raise big and show down big hands a couple of times.

In fact, I think QQ is the perfect hand with which to pull this maneuver. With JJ or lower you're not as confident in your hand being best or having huge odds against a villain even when it is best. With AA-KK there's so much value out of playing this a little slower, it seems hard to do unless you're facing a bit larger raise from a more believable position.

But with QQ...I dunno, I like this move. A lot of times you'll pick up 4xBB or so, a lot of those times you'll actually save yourself from going bust with your QQ, you eliminate positional disadvantage, and many times you'll get called by hands that you're absolutely crushing, plus the end-game "respect" factor that some of your later hands will have (as I'm definitely showing them my queens after making a move like this).

Good play, OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that if there's enough decent players at the table to reap any sort of metagame benefit, then there's not enough terrible players who will give this move any kind of action.

Also, good players who may notice you making this play and understand the message aren't the ones who you're trying to send the message to anyways, because good players are playing tight enough early and loose enough late that it will probably never be a factor.