Thread: My typical day
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: My typical day

Seven and a half years ago, when my daughter was born, my wife and I started working alternate shifts to keep her out of daycare. I worked at night, and she during the day. We didn't see much of each other, that's for sure! I started playing poker full time during her first-grade year. I don't play during the summer. It's working out pretty well.

The few times she had to go to a daycare provider, she went to the "neighborhood lady" who watched my brother and sister every day growing up. She's family. Cheap too. We still vist her from time to time.

The other time she went to a daycare provider was when my wife got a job with one. My wife quit after a short stint there, for various reasons. I won't go into detail, but it was the experience that proved to my wife that day-care was not a good option.

Long story short - kids grow up fast. While discussing your situation with my wife, we decided that there will come a time when Oriana (that's our daughter) isn't as interested in hanging out with her parents anymore. We want to get in as much time with this amazing person while we can.

As far as social interaction, school will provide ample opportunity for that. These years are for you to instill a set of core values for your child. Don't give up this right.

As far as increased learning, I can only say that my daughter (2nd grade) reads at about a 4th grade level, and is at the top of her class in almost all subjects. She attends a private school.

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes feel guity spending all my time playing cards instead of doing some real work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your premises. There's a reason that you feel guilty for sending your child to daycare so you can do something that you don't consider as "real work". Once you understand where this feeling comes from, then you'll have a better time making your decision.

These years cannot be regained.