View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Limping with AA/KK in EP: Always, sometimes, never?

harrington on hold'em I has some good advice about playing big pairs in early position. he believes objectively the best play is to raise 3xBB. when he plays against regular opponents, though, he mixes it so he's hard to read. i don't remember exactly what he advocates, but i think it is something like 20% of the time he limps, 10% of the time he raises 5xBB, and 10% of the time he raises 2xBB. the rest of the time he raises 3-4xBB. (someone correct me if this is wrong.)

if you do minraise with these hands sometimes, you must minraise with other hands as well so you don't telegraph your holding. in general, though, i'm not a big fan of minraises.

harrington suggests using the second hand on your watch to randomize your play, which is a cool trick.

on the internet, i think i just raise 3-4xBB always, unless there are a couple of maniacs in the game. players just aren't as observant, and they come and go. no need for deception. look to play a raised pot against one or two opponents.

by the way, i'm not sure i would consider the hand you posted a "success" even though you won a nice pot. you really want someone to raise behind you so you can reraise. if you limped AA on this hand, you might have lost some cash.