View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: downloading tv shows? Begging for help!!!

Okay, these are step by step instructions that should cover everything. If you missed any of these steps you will have to go back and complete them.

1) Install bitTorrent (or similar, ie: Azureus as mentioned above)
2) Go to a torrent site like www.isohunt.com or www.torrentspy.com
3) Find the video file you want (use the Search function)
4) Click on the torrent link and Open it with bitTorrent/Azureus. If you already downloaded the torrent file and saved it, just double click it (wherever you saved it) to run it in bitTorrent/Azureus. Torrent files end in .torrent and the purpose of this file is to tell bitTorrent/Azureus where to download the video file from.
5) bitTorrent/Azureus should ask you where to save the file
6) Wait for the file to download (this can take quite a while depending on the popularity of the file)
7) If the file is archived (usually .rar occaisionally .zip) you will need to unarchive it with Winrar (as above). Usually video files download through bitTorrent are not .rar'ed.
8) If the video file uses a Codec you've never used before, you will need to download and install the Codec
Divx -> www.divx.com
Xvid -> www.xvid.org
9) Once the Codec is installed you should be able to doubleclick the video file or run it in Windows Media Player (or download a different video player if you prefer)
10) If the video file was in VCD, SVCD or DVD format you may burn it directly to CD/DVD (check the software that came with your burner) as a VCD/SVCD/DVD and (depending on your machine, some machines won't play one or more formats) play it on your DVD player. If it's in another format, you would need to convert it to VCD/SVCD/DVD. (I just mention this so you're aware of what's possible if you really want to get into this)