Thread: KIm Chee
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: KIm Chee

No reading problem here. I do know that there's tons of Koreans in LA. I also know that's where the best Korean food is. These are facts. My assumption is that there's a ton of Korean markets around. In the Valley, I'm sure you shouldn't have any problem finding a decent market. You can always call the markets ahead of time and find out if they have kimchee at the deli counter. The korean word for kimchee is "kimchee", so even if they don't speak english, it should be possible. I forgot how to say "do you have kimchee today?" Still, you should look for the mu kimchee (raddish). It's the stone cold nuts, and a good one is worth 3 hours in LA traffic. Ditto for the garlic stem kimchee (I forgot the name for that one). While you're at the market, you can get some of those little anchovies in the gocheejong, a case of OB, and a bucket of the shrimp crackers. This should make your drive home in the traffic jam much more enjoyable. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would advise against making your own kimchee, because I do think it's an art. Even at some of the better Korean restaurants here, the kimchee sucks. Once you have had the best, it's hard to have anything else, as I'm sure you know. Also, it makes your house smell like crap. Plus, you do need a second "Korean food" fridge. This goes for any korean food - even if you are marinating BBQ. That stuff permeates everything in your fridge like none other. You don't want the milk for your cheerios tasting like bulgogi.