View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Mason\'s question about Cooke, and a response

[ QUOTE ]
"Roy gives him credit on that account because that is an essential step of working against the kind of stuff he talks about."

Why is that an essential step? When I write that you shouldn't play medium pairs in eight or better stud it is not essential that I mention that Russ once wrote something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi David,

It's good to see you chip in on this.

There's a lengthy rationale to this -- even lengthier than all that has gone before, but a big part of it can be illustrated by carrying forward Mason's metaphor ---- to tackle this issue in a public way on the web without dealing with Russ would be sort of like tackling the issue of the Soviet threat in the 50s without dealing with McCarthy. To proceed intelligently with that issue required separating the ridiculous charges from the reality of the threat. How much harder would it have been on everybody from George Marshall to Ronald Reagan if McCarthy hadn't self-destructed, but remained active on the scene?

RC has chosen this route to get people's attention and segregate the important part of the issue from what I have referred to earlier as the imcomprehsible screeds. Agree or disagree with thetactic, it seems to be getting traction.

IMO -- not particularly relevant I might add -- this is necessary because Roy and you and the others were quiet too long and left a void that was filled by the likes of Georgiev. And that is why we are confronted with issues like Tuan/Habib and worse which will probably eventually come to light.

I believe it's incumbent on all of you to create a national strategy to stop what's happening before it gets the industry slammed.

Not that i'd say what I think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best,

jb