View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: best films of the year

[ QUOTE ]
Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to chime in about Batman because I'm a huge Batman homer. When I first saw Batman Begins, the whole time I was saying to myself: "WOW!" I actually saw it multiple times and each time, the crowd stood up clapping at the end of the movie. I haven't seen somethign like that in a long time and from the people I talk to at other forums I frequent, they experienced the same thing.

Now to critique the movie from an objective point of view, I'd say the first 2/3 of the movie were flawless especially the first bit. The character development was just really strong as we journey through the agony and pain with Bruce. Bale does a brilliant job at portraying realistic emotions (ie at the court scene when he's about to shoot chill). The early scenes with Batman were stellar as well. The interrogation scene with Flass was brilliantly done.

Now where does this movie start to tank from an objective point of view? Well as soon as the car chase scene happens. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tumbler as it's more realistic than any previous Batmobiles, but from that point on, the movie just follows a Hollywood explosion type movie. The microwave emitter was a plot hole in itself. I mean, things like this are fine if you're looking for a brainless, summer action movie, but the first 2/3 of the movie was so perfect to end like this.

The ending at the end couldn't have been any better though.

But I agree with you. The film wasn't perfect because of the last 1/3 of the film. It's a real shame