View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Hot Air For Africa

[ QUOTE ]
think he is absolutely right that the most fundamental problems of these countries have to do with domestic politics and the weakness/corruption of the state. Giving aid to corrupt governments is basically just throwing it away or, worse, further entrenching the problem.

On the other hand, it seems to me that a lot of good can still be done if you channel aid through NGOs and organizations in the private sector that are working on the ground to provide health services, education, etc. It's not going to end poverty, but its going to improve the lives of millions of people. And I think the rich countries of the world have a moral responsibility to do this to some degree, *since the amount of human suffering you can alleviate is really substantial for the price*.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with both, provided the part I italicized is actually true (I'll guess it is since you are saying so; but I can't feel fully confident as I don't know sufficient details).

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link. I like this guy Taki's style and will take a look at his site.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll find a very wide variety of topics covered there; if one you don't care for, the next might be of greater interest or sympathy. I read about half of those columns, and have a few favorites; but didn't want to post them all specifically, as others doubtless would have different favorites (or anti-favorites, as the case may be). Taki covers politics, Hollywood, movies, Hemingway...and lots more.