Thread: 2 Book Ideas
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: best books for \"player types\" & \"reading hands\"

As for the limit book, it really depends on what you are looking for. I've read both, and both are excellent.

The King Yao book is pretty similar to SSHE in terms of content and organization. Reading it helped reinforce the things I learned through SSHE, but I didn't feel like there was anything ground-breaking in there that wasn't in SSHE (except perhaps the short-handed section).

Middle Limit holdem is organized much differently. Like SSHE and Yao's book, there are sections on different aspects of the game, e.g., pre-flop, flop, turn, river, checkraising, raising, etc. However, that's where the similarity ends. Rather than having extensive discussions of each topic, each section in Middle Limit is simply two or three pages laying out general ideas followed by 20-30 hand problems where the author goes through the decision-making process as a hand unfolds. I found this format to be really practical and to help me put to use many of the concepts I learned through reading other books.

If I had to choose, I would say go with Middle Limit. This is no knock on Yao's book, but if you've already read SSHE I think you will get more out of Middle Limit. If you are interested in short-handed play, however, it might be worthwhile to get Yao's book due to the excellent discussion of this subject.

Finally, one caveat that other posters have touched on before: Middle Limit is a little old and wasn't written for today’s sometimes hyper-aggressive on-line play. So, some of the advice (especially the turn section) may come off as a little weak tight. I still highly recommend the book, but you should keep this in mind when you're going through the hand problems.

Finally, if you enjoy reading hand problems, another book to consider is RealPoker II by Cooke. This is a collection of his columns for Card Player and is excellent. It's not as comprehensive as Middle Limit, but I highly recommend it as well.