View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Where to play in SF bay area

Oaks: lots of retirees and pensioners at lower limits, especially during the day. Not as crazy as the other bay area clubs, but still very good games. Just, well, different. much more loose passive, on the whole. games can get crazy at night when the berzerkeley students come out to play. the 6-12 very much exemplifies this. the 15-30 is a little different. since it's the biggest game in the east bay, it attracts the wealthier players from the east bay, marin (who don't want to travel across the GGB) and the valley. the game also turns off many better players since the location sort of sucks. Lots of props in this game, but, during the week, this includes Abby, so that kind of cancels out the "tough prop" thing. Also, jackpot is AAA1010 beat rather than quads. smaller jackpots, but they get hit more often.

CSP: poorly run room. management sucks there. they have a policy/habit/trend of training break in dealers, losing the better ones to other area clubs and promoting what's left. games are a little more aggro than the Oaks, but not to penninsula standards

Cal Grand: iirc, the drop is higher here than at other clubs. I think it was 4+1 the last time I went there. Craziest games in the area. almost to LA standards.

LC: personally, I don't like this place. just a feel thing. games are good, as they are everywhere. food sucks here. if you have to eat, order the breakfast, as they can't really screw it up too bad. 20-40 isn't bad (very crazy, but very beatable), but the 9-18 can run the gamut from great to not worth sitting.

AJ: more blue collar than the other clubs. games can be wide open at times. A few years back, before LC opened, four and five rack wins were not uncommon. lots of people who stop in for short sessions, here and there (like me for lunch). games pick up at night and get more aggressive. Cute dealers.

101: similar to LC. I don't have much experience here, but fwiw, i wouldn't go out of my way to play here.