View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: \"Remember when?\" game -- ch-ch-changes

Walkmans. I still have mine somewhere around here actually. Related are cassette tapes for taping your favourite songs so you can listen to them.

Movies. Back in the day, movies like Star Wars and Alien dazzled us with their incredible special effects - I mean lightsabres were just WOW, how DO they pull that off? These days though, there are a lot of movies that are just a huge conglomeration of special effects. They aren't really that 'special' anymore, they're so commonplace. There's no WOW factor.

Similar theme - Computer games. Some truly awesome, revolutionary games were created a decade ago or so. Lucasarts with its X-Wing / TIE Fighter and adventure games, Sierra with their adventure games, Microprose with their simulation games, iD software with their FPS games, to name just a few. If you look around at the games that are available today, none of them really have that WOW factor, at least for me. None of them seem to have anywhere near as much immersion as the old games, despite having much better graphics (which should actually make immersion easier). Doom is a great example. Doom was just mindblowingly awesome. Doom 3 was more of a 'meh, it's okay, done it all before though'.

Ahh, the good old days...