View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Harvey Movie Review

Harvey (1950)
Starring James Stewart
Directed by Henry Koster

Who is Harvey? Utter nonsense, a skeptic might say, a figment of a madman's imagintion. But don't tell that to Elwood P. Dowd. Ask him who Harvey is and he'll politely greet you by giving you his card and inviting you to his table for a drink with him and his best friend, Harvey. Oh by the way, he Harvey just happens to be a 6'3" bunny that only Elwood can see.

The problem with Elwood, as lovable and amiable as he is, is that he is a social nightmare for his sister, who after years of torment of having a "crazy" brother, tries to get Elwood committed into a mental institution. While the world thinks he's crazy, Elwood manages to charm and capture the hearts of everyone he meets and convinces them that maybe we all need a six-foot tall bunny in our lives.

In easily one of James Stewart's finest performances, he plays Elwood to perfection with his usual charm and grace. One can't help but smile (at least I couldn't) as Stewart works the screen magically and has you believing maybe he does indeed see a life sized rabbit following him around.

Charming (perhaps I've used this word more than once but it really is the best description of the movie), touching, and funny, Harvey is a must see for any movie-goer.

SCORE: 9/10

NOTE: How am I doing in my reviews so far? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.